Prev: Re: [OT] Player Profile Page Next: Re: Salvo missile escalation

Re: Salvo missile escalation

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:07:32 +0200
Subject: Re: Salvo missile escalation

Dave Pullen wrote:

>>This is a real style of play question so I must ask:
>>How fast are your ships moving?
>>Are you using Vector or cinematic movement?
>>How maneuverable are your ships?
>
>The two fleets were heading towards each other at speeds around
10->12. We had our usual 2000 points and the game lasted just two turns
>for the two players using salvos on each other, the other two were
>pinging away into the early hours. We always use the cinematic
>movement and the ships generaly have a thrust of 4 since this is
>adequate for most uses.

Move a little faster (so you force the enemy to choose between three
different locations for their missiles if they want to hit, rather than
just two), and maneuver more. If you move on a predictable course
straight towards the enemy all of their missiles will be on target.

>Hell, they even banned my 300 mass, thrust 2 ship with a whole load of
>class 1 beams.

You play on a very small table? Otherwise why didn't they just stand
off and pound the thing to pieces...?

FWIW, some time ago I posted the stats for the Voth - thrust-2, 66 B1s
and 12 SMR-ER; IIRC it was TMF 280 - asking if anyone on the list
thought it would be effective. *No one* said yes... could've been the
SMR-ERs, of course <g>

>Saying that though I have since learned that lots of little ships
>have a much better survivability than one huge one, currently I use 80
>mass heavy cruisers but I might lower that to around 50 or 60.

Depends on what weapons you face. Low numbers of big ships makes you
more vulnerable to missiles (escorting them with a bunch of small units
can draw salvo missiles off, but not MTMs); small ships are more
vulnerable to just about everything else :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Player Profile Page Next: Re: Salvo missile escalation