Prev: RE: Air dropped Units Next: Re: [OT] Player Profile Page

Re: Salvo missile escalation

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:54:46 +0200
Subject: Re: Salvo missile escalation

Stiltman wrote:

>>>My experience is that having about 20-30 PDS per thousand points
>>>is a good idea if the gloves are off.  Get much less than that and
>>>you're asking to get swamped by missiles or fighters, and getting
>>>much more than that and you're asking to get swamped by ships
>>>armed with beams and pulse torps.
>
>>That's 100-150 PDSs in a 5000-point battle... last time we discussed
>>this you seemed to be quite emphatic that 60-80 PDSs in a battle this
>>size was the norm in your group - or was it your personal fleets
only,
>>in which case you didn't say anything about your opponents' normal
>>PD strengths?
>
>That was for my own fleets -- and, I might add, that was for my own
>fleets with cloaking devices, level 2 screens, and (to be fair) not a
>whole lot of expectation that I'd run into too many fighters, because
my >opponents just plain don't bother flying them on me too often.

It didn't sound like you were referring to your own fleets exclusively,
though you only gave explicit details on your own ships. Quoting two of
your posts from that conversation:

"We've hit about a "balance point" where our warships that don't expect
to have fighter support typically are able to throw a mix of PDS and
Class 1's to the tune of about 60-120 total of both."

"The happy medium we've generally settled into tends to sport PDS in
about the 60-100 range. 100 is usually overdoing it a little ..."

Together with the repeated references to the Warbirds (3 ships, each
with 20 PDS and 17 B1-6) this gave a distinct impression that the norm
for both you *and* your opponents (unless you used "we" in the royal
sense?) normally had around 60-80 PDS and up to 40-60 B1s.

FWIW, one of your 40+ squadron carrier fleets would make mincemeat out
of your Warbird squadron - it isn't *that* hard to figure out where the
Warbirds need to decloak if they want to shoot at something :-7

>Shortly after that conversation, my opponents started pretty regularly
>flying with closer to 100-150 PDS in our 5000-point battles.

That explains it. They've finally come to their senses :-)

>Don't worry about going over our May-June conversations... water
>under the bridge to me. :)

It's quite interesting, actually... several misunderstandings on both
sides, and consequently lots of questions that got rather irrelevant
answers.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Air dropped Units Next: Re: [OT] Player Profile Page