Prev: RE: Salvo missile escalation Next: Re: DSII: Parachute deployed vehicles...

re: Re: DSII: Parachute deployed vehicles...

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: 14 Sep 2000 09:30:41 -0500
Subject: re: Re: DSII: Parachute deployed vehicles...

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:33:55 -0400
From: Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net>
Subject: Re: DSII: Parachute deployed vehicles...

At 15:28 2000-09-13 -0700, you wrote:
> > DS does have rules for air dropped deployment. For vehicles this is
> limited
> > to size 1 & 2, IIRC.
>
>Plus, for that matter, if you wanted to go with Battletech style games,

>there's nothing stopping you from just plain deciding that you can drop

>just about anything with legs from orbit as long as you have a "drop
capsule"
>of some sort around it to soften the landing.
>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> The Stilt Man stiltman@teleport.com

I will have to pull out the source material, but I thought that
the drop capsule provided protection against atmospheric
abrasion (i.e. the heat of reentry) and the Mech's had to have
Jump Jets or a disposable "jump pack" to slow descent once in
the lower atmosphere.
<<<<<<<<<<

a  good (visual) example of what brian points out is the Roughneck
Chronicles GCI show.
the drop capsule protects against atmospheric re-entry, and their jet
packs cut their velocity
so landing won't break their legs.

therefore, i also like the current DS2 system.	no fuss with extra rules
for drop pods, but PA
and size 1 mechs get the inherent capability with their cost.

dave

Prev: RE: Salvo missile escalation Next: Re: DSII: Parachute deployed vehicles...