Prev: Re: [OT] Starship vs FT Next: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

[OT] Starship - perhaps a last thought?

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:04:20 -0400
Subject: [OT] Starship - perhaps a last thought?

Perhaps we can close out this thread on a positive note:

1) Oerjan - as our primary number cruncher, standard bearer, and
resident
occasional prickly-pear, you make a very cogent defence of FT including
refuting some apparent misconceptions Brad seemed to have about FT (or
at
least, so it came across). I think you and others have effectively
pointed
out the game has always been marketed as having a sort of
"optional/generic"
feel to it, and that in many ways, it is very flexible in allowing
players
to come up with their own designs/races (while living within the rules
strictures). And of course, pointing out that players will do as they
will
and rules be darned. Thank you for your comments! I believe Brad may
have a
better perspective on how this community sees FT as a consequence.

2) Brad (Mr. Carlson?) - Two comments.

First, congratulations on having launched a new game. It is a grand
exploit
and I look forward to seeing your work at a convention. Perhaps you'd
consider attending GZG ECC IV and running a demonstration game? That
would
allow many of the listers to see Starship first hand. <This is just an
idea>

Second, I hope no one here has come across as offensive or combative. We
gzg
listers do sometimes come across a little bit bombastic but we try to be
well behaved in general. I can see how it might seem people are picking
at
your creation - not so (or at least not with any intent to do harm). I
would
choose to think of it as trying to understand how your system differs
and
what it offers. In some cases, we may object to a particular
characterization of FT based on your admittedly limited experience -
many of
us have been involved in this community for years now and have a much
more
developed sense of what the FT system is about and the values Sr.
Tuffley's
games espouse. But we (generally) don't mean any harm. We just don't
like to
be told what FT is or isn't <*grin*>.

General
----------

I would hope that everyone on the list is now clear on what Starship
offers
- a quite flexible race/ship creation system with (it would appear) more
permutations/options than FT. Balance is (if we take the initial
reports)
not a tremendous problem - min/maxing seems minimal. Suffice to say that
until some of our people play the game, this is the best understanding
we're
likely to have. Perhaps someone will buy a copy of Starship! and write
the a
critical review to contrast and compare?

Hopefully, in return, Brad is clearer on the fact that FT is more
generic
than he initially may have seemed to suggest. Whereas it may not offer
quite
so many apparent options, it could hardly be called inflexible or
restrictive. And the FT playtesters have been through many iterations of
rules-that-didn't-see-the-light-of-day to root out balance issues. It's
fast, fun game.

Undoubtedly, Starship! is probably an interesting game, worth a look
through
or a game or two. Obviously, it offers the players flexibility and
options
and texture. I think Brad said it best when he pointed out that both
systems
appear to have their strengths. This is part of a live-and-let-live
approach
which is the best way to look at these types of dialogic issues.

As an old AD&D DM who has bent, folded, twisted, and mutilated every
ruleset
TSR ever put out, I can say that there is always someone who wants to
tweak
a system, no matter how good, no matter how complex. There are systems
with
greater and lesser flexibility and greater and lesser balance. FT offers
degree of flexibility, a spirit of sportsmanship, a willingness to let
the
purchaser do what he or she wants with the game. FT is fast, fun, and
has a
devoted following. Starship! is obviously a different experience,
probably
worthwhile in its own accord for its different flavour.

As long as we can all see that there is more than one way to approach a
game
and each method comes with its own pros and cons, there is no reason a
large
variety of these games can't be successful, each offering a different
experience.

Best of luck, Brad! Thank you for taking the time and effort to outline
some
interesting facts about Starship!. Hopefully people will check it out to
find out more. Remember too, it is in its early stages and FT is
mature...
it is quite likely that given a version or two, any hidden or
as-yet-unseen
flaws can be moderated.

And thanks again to Oerjan for standing up for the "real" nature of FT
as
those of us on the list know it!

:)
Tomb

Prev: Re: [OT] Starship vs FT Next: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author