Prev: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author Next: Re: [FT] [computer] 3D math

Re: [OT] Starship vs FT

From: Brad Carlson <7sg@l...>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:29:09 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] Starship vs FT

Aron_Clark@digidesign.com wrote:

> Groan . . .  the recent posts regarding Starship are exactly what I
hoped
> wouldn't happen.  I must apologize to the list for inadvertently
starting this
> thread.  It was I who forwarded the lister comments regarding Starship
to a
> Flagship representative, who I must say wasn't Brad.	I did this only
to provide
> information on how the game had recently been received, with the hopes
that it
> would improve their future presentation of the system.  I didn't
expect Brad to
> begin a series of posts to the GZG Mailing list attempting to prove
the
> superiority of Starship to Full Thrust.

First of all, Aron, if it makes you feel better, If you hadn't, someone
else would
have, as I received other emails on the same day, also concerning
Starship vs. FT,
and this list.

Second, I, as stated previously, had no intention of "promoting"
Starship within
what, I knew full well, might be a somewhat hostile venue. I only posted
in order to
correct statements made by others in this forum that I felt were
inaccurate. Since,
in at least one case, my integrity was being questioned, I feel I had a
right to do
so.

Since this IS a public forum, I assumed such comments from me would not
be
inappropriate or unwelcome. I have tried to make all of my comments
pertanent, and
not expand the scope into shameless marketing of other aspects of
Starship or other
FSG products. Discussing the relative merits of FT vs other games,
however,
especially in providing information about a new game seems to me to be
very much
on-topic.

Third, I don't feel that Starship is superior, overall, to FT. I DO
believe it is
superior in certain areas, and that FT is superior in other areas.

> Brad - you ought to understand the GZG Mailing List is a community
dedicated, if
> not fanatical, to the GZG systems and Full Thrust in particular.

I am, and as stated above, have been, fully aware of that.
If members of this list had not initiated a Starship-related topic, I
would never
have posted here.

> Your posts and
> continued posting on this topic, Starship, equates to 19th century
missionaries
> blunderings in Asia.

I have corrected errors, given examples, and answered questions.

I have not (and certainly could have) posted long and numerous messages
about the
wonders of our campaign system, or our cool models, or the near mystical
experience
of owning our Battlepoles.

I have avoided, as much as possible, evangelizing. I have acknowledged
FT's many
strengths.

I find your comment unsubstantiated, immature,	and offensive.

And since I have been playing starship-combat games for at least the
last 20 years,
FT among them, I would think I have as much right to belong to this list
as you.

I don't mean to sound unduly harsh, but you do give cause, Sir.

> There are far better forums for such information on
> Starship, the Starship Combat News Group in particular.

I agree, I have been sending information to that site for some time,
while avoiding
groups such as this.

> Oerjann - you must be commended on stepping to the front to carry the
GZG
> banner, you do it so well.  ;)  I hope that you'll let this fade away.

My understanding is that he had questions and that I was answering them.

Others on this list who are interested have the ability to join in, or
avoid the
topic altogether.

 I don't see how this concerns you at all.

> To the rest of the list - again you have my most sincere apologies for
the
> obvious breach of net etiquette.

Please explain the breach I have commited in contributing to a civil,
on-topic
discussion.

> I hope you understand that this diatribe
> wasn't my intention, but much more my horror.
>
> Shamefully, Aron Clark (dedicated GZG enthusiast)

Shame may be appropriate. This ... tantrum... seems beneath you.

If my posts to this list are, in fact, unwelcome, I will gladly withdraw
and take
any further questions privately. I can always be reached via the FSG
website:

http://www.flagshipgames.com/

On the other hand, if others on this list are interested in continuing
or initiating
appropriate topics, I will endeavor to respond without missionary zeal.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Prev: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author Next: Re: [FT] [computer] 3D math