Prev: Re: INSS MacArthur? Re: [OT] Alderson Drive Next: Re: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered...

Genre weapon scaling

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Genre weapon scaling

Just as sort of an observation.  If you never use the genre tech then
just
ignore this post right off.

It seems to me that, with the introduction of the Phalons' plasma bolts,
the
nova cannon and wave gun (even if you _do_ allow them) seem downright
obsolete.  The main messes are that you can't aim it, you can't use any
other
weapons at the same time, and you can't scale it up on larger ships
(which
aggravates the lack of use of other weapons).

So my thought of late was to allow "classes" of nova/wave guns.  The
version
in the FB1 is, under this terminology, a "Class 1" version of those
weapons.
Just as with plasma, you can scale up to high classes by putting
multiples
of that mass value of the weapon together.  A Class 2 nova cannon does
twice
as much as a Class 1, etc.  Wave guns would charge all the same way, but
the
damage that would be inflicted to the ship if a partially charged wave
gun
went down in a needle or a threshold would be equal to the amount of the
partial charge times the class of the weapon.

Haven't playtested it at all, but it seems like it might be half worth
looking
at.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: INSS MacArthur? Re: [OT] Alderson Drive Next: Re: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered...