Prev: FT Conversions Next: 2300AD Ships

Re: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered...

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@p...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:06:03 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] [OT?] Has anyone considered...

>....doing full 3D FT on a computer? The weapon ranges and stuff all
give
>themselves to easy 3D. Firing arcs might be a pain. You'd have to
"encase"
>your ship in a polygon (12 sider?) and decide which weapons can fire
through
>which arcs.

Another, possibly better way of doing this would be to assign an axis
to each weapon (which would be one of the d12 directions) and spread
out an allowable "off center" cone from there. I.E. a 3 arc weapon
would have a 90 degree possible variation, resulting in a half sphere
from the "pointer."

>  The vector rules ought to more or less work,
>though we'd need to have a different syntax to imply thrust up/down.

No need to exclude Cinematic. Either works.

>It's a pity that someone couldn't negotiate for a copy of the Homeworld
>engine and we could use some FT models. I'd want to re-write the
"rules" for
>weapons and screens such that they would be conformant to FT-ish rules,
and
>it would be neat to have status displays that look roughly like
shipsheets.
>But all of this does sound within the realm of possibility on today's
>systems.

No need to even get that complex. It could be done in that same
manner as FTMap, allowing PBEM games, etc.

Schoon

Prev: FT Conversions Next: 2300AD Ships