Prev: Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits) Next: [SG2] [FMA] Commo --> a digester's reply to Brian

Re: [FT] vector point balance

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:28:55 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] vector point balance

G'day guys,

 >   I'm not sure I'd agree with this.	Your target is guaranteed to be
within
 >a circle with a radius of his Thrust rating.	At some specific
distance
 >away, the width of your fire arc is bigger than the diameter of his
maneuver
 >envelope....If you can keep your opponent at longer range, though, you
only
 >need 1 arc.

And that would be the crux of the matter. Your opponent isn't going to
let
you sit at that range (if they've got any brains), at least not on a
regular basis.

  > You do still have to take into account where he'll be _next_ turn,
plus
 >the possibility that you may want to shoot at more than one ship, but
you
 >don't have to worry about flank attacks (because you can see them
coming).

You've still got to decide where you're going to fire. Against the KV
I've
found it very effective to have two equally strong wings come in against

them from opposite sides - they can either turn half each way and split
fire or only concentrate on one wing while the other hammers them.

 >IMHO single arc Beam-3 and Beam-4 are a lot more attractive in vector
than
 >in cinematic.

Quite possibly, but there are other weapons that are more attractive in
vector too. However within a purely vector game or purely cinematic
surely
its the relative not the absolute costs that matter and so the system is

sound as it stands (or so it seems to me at least).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits) Next: [SG2] [FMA] Commo --> a digester's reply to Brian