Prev: Re: EW Activation Next: Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits)

Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits)

From: Brian Bell <bkb@b...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:29:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits)

Ok here is my take on it, taking into account the discussion that has
been
presented:

1) EW Unit must be activated to have the opportunity to get/refresh EW
chits. (p. 52)

2) When an EW unit is activated, it may use an ACTION to engage the EW
equipment (and get 3 chits). If it does not do so, it has no EW chits
for
that turn.

3) It does NOT take an action to use the EW chits.

4) EW chits do NOT accumulate from activation to activation. (Obvious,
but
now stated)

Suggestions:

1) EW action does not require a reaction test.

2) EW unit is NOT affected by supression. The EW action would seem to be

along the lines of difficulty/exposure as a Leader's Observe or
Communicate
actions.

Effects of the above:
1) EW teams would be split off into small unit teams (similar to sniper
teams), but usually remain in no-comm-roll-needed range of a command
unit
(exceptions made for trying to find hidden units).

1a) From the other thread about my SG misunderstanding, I would take it
that the Command squads are actually quite small (since the leader's
communication/reactivation actions would limit other options) but
surrounded in no-comm-roll-needed range by other supporting units.

2) EW teams could perform a number of combined actions if stationary,
but
would have to choose to use EW or do something else if it moves.

3) EW units could be reactivated by Leaders for more EW chits. :-) This
would have to be done BEFORE a ECM/ECCM bid war starts as the
communication
action would have to be finished before a reactivation action could be
used.

4) It provides an opportunity for a player to make another decision in
when
in a turn to activate units. "Shall I activate a combat unit and hope
that
they don't make a comm attempt before my next activation, or get the EW
chits now and use the combat unit my next activation".

5) Provides a reason for the EW unit to NOT use the EW equipment (as was

suggested they may choose to do on page 52).

Unsure how to handle:

1) EW equipment on Vehicles. I would suggest the same way as for EW
units.
I.e. it costs an action. A tank crew of 2 or 3 can't maneuver the tank,
fire effectivly, and find the frequency-hop pattern of the
communications
you want to block all at the same time.

At 12:10 2000-08-31 -0700, you wrote:

>Okay, what's the "official" word? We seem to have two schools of
thought:

>1) EW requires an action to activate.
>2) EW does not require an action to activate, but can be made active or

>not active.
>
>I know where my idea of requiring an action comes in. There's a
reference,
>on page 52, to EW becoming inactive the next time the EW unit is
>activated. I guess I assumed that making EW active costs an action.
>
>This, of course, brings up a whole new set of questions if it does not
>require an action. Can the EW unit move and still use the EW counters?
Can
>it fire? What if it's part of a command squad? If the command unit as a

>whole moves for two actions, can the EW figures still conduct EW
actions?

>Having thought about it, I like the idea of the EW chits being
available
>without requiring an action, but the EW figures (whether in their own
unit
>or in the command unit) may not be activated for anything else. That
is,
>the figures themselves are dedicated to the EW task. Still, we need
some
>sort of consensus...
>
>Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
ICQ: 12848051
AIM: Rlyehable
---

Prev: Re: EW Activation Next: Re: [SG2] [FMA] EW Action? (was: Commo Chits)