Prev: RE: Fleet Book 2 insignia Next: RE: Fleet Book 2 insignia

[SG2] [FMA] Commo Chits

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:31:33 -0400
Subject: [SG2] [FMA] Commo Chits

Hi Brian, Allan

As usual, good input.

Brian did have it right, the EW auctions usually are a lot of fun. I
remember one game (Adrian may recall this) which was PAU/FSE vs.
OU/Militia
and the OU had EW galore. By the end of the game, 27 GMS/P had been
fired
with (I think) 1 vehicle destruction (another was killed by a close
range
salvo of french D12* assault rifle fire). Some others hit but didn't
penetrate, some missed, but a goodly 15 or more were jammed
successfully.
This game also featured heavy use of sniper/marksmen.

The OU won that scenario. They lost most of their colonists, most of
their
vehicles, but most of the OU regulars plus some of the Militia got away
on
foot relatively unhurt. In contrast, the FSE had taken some light to
moderate casualties but were held up, the FSE had lost a hover tank and
some
hover jeeps, and the PAU had taken some significant casualties
(especially
in the leadership areas...).

But, I digress, the EW auction was fun.

I'm not sure, however, I agree with Allan's suggestion. He's making your
low
quality commo something the enemy has control over (ie, using chits to
block
key calls). In truth, I just find that unappealling. That sounds like
ECM
activity to me.

I was thinking the mechanism of just penalizing the dice used for comms
attempts was
1) less chits (I don't mind em)
2) more even across the board -> not focused on a particularly key
situation

You could go with the penalty, PLUS give out a few chits the player
could
use to actually get shifted back to a better quality of comms for key
calls.
Then the commo efforts would be more in the hands of those making the
call,
blocks being only a result of ECM (which seems more "right" to me).

The die shift also works for EMP, for lost satellites (every satellite
that
dies in orbit in the FT battle costs you a one negative die shift in
comms
quality, etc), and for heavy storm activity (can anyone say desert
conditions like Bravo Two Zero experienced?).

Lastly, as to the EW issue:
Why be inactive? In a double blind game, a hot EW unit will stick out
like a
sore thumb and get Arty, Air, and emission-homing ordinance. That makes
it a
risk. In full knowledge games with no emission homing weapons and no
intelligence about enemy locs to be gained, it isn't terribly important
if
you unit is active or not (in fact, active always makes sense).

I can envision an environment where every turn an active EW unit must
roll a
test of its unit quality vs. enemy's DF equipment. If it fails, at end
of
round, player gets to lay down an arty attack targetted on the detected
location. This would calm the EW levels down and limit them to limited
tactical use. Or "fire up, jam, pack up, scoot!"

Just a further 0.04. :)

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Prev: RE: Fleet Book 2 insignia Next: RE: Fleet Book 2 insignia