Prev: RE: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player Next: RE: [FT] vector point balance

Re: [FT] vector point balance

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:33:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] vector point balance

Beth warbled:

> The extra
> arcs are important to the owning ships even in vector... I've seen the
KV
> (and other 1-arc obcessed races) a hair out of arc quite a number of
times,
> but out of arc is out of arc whether it's by 2 degrees or 180! Besides
> first up I'd say IF the guys buying extra arcs are disadvantaged then
its
> less than the 'granularity' of FT is concerned with anyway. Secondly
having
> the extra arcs means you can also cope with more counter-tactics (less
> chance flank attacks will catch you wrong footed for instance). I
wouldn't
> sweat it Tom it all comes out in the wash.

   I'm not sure I'd agree with this.  Your target is guaranteed to be
within
a circle with a radius of his Thrust rating.  At some specific distance
away, the width of your fire arc is bigger than the diameter of his
maneuver
envelope, so you are certain of being able to shoot at him.  As I
recall,
you cover the envelope for Thrust 2 if he's 8mu away, Thrust 4 at 15mu,
Thrust 6 at 22mu (but it wouldn't hurt for someone to check those
figures).
If you have a 1-arc, short range weapon (eg submunition pack), then you
have
a problem.  If you can keep your opponent at longer range, though, you
only
need 1 arc.  Incidentally, I calculated those figures for the Estrell
Battleship Duel.
  You do still have to take into account where he'll be _next_ turn,
plus
the possibility that you may want to shoot at more than one ship, but
you
don't have to worry about flank attacks (because you can see them
coming).
IMHO single arc Beam-3 and Beam-4 are a lot more attractive in vector
than
in cinematic.

Prev: RE: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player Next: RE: [FT] vector point balance