Prev: Re: Mishaps in space Next: [DS] Force Organizations

Re: [SG2] [FMA] [Am I the last one to use tags?] Comms Quality

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 30 Aug 2000 14:02:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [SG2] [FMA] [Am I the last one to use tags?] Comms Quality

On Wed, 30 August 2000, "Barclay, Tom" wrote:

> 1) Implement an extra die for commo rolls, based off equipment
quality.
> Implement some concept of partial success (Troop Q or Equip Q dice
succeeds,
> but not both). This could prove very interesting in a game where the
ref is
> the medium for all orders.

I'm not crazy about this, but then I prefer to use existing mechanics
where possible.

> 2) Shift the normal commo dice rolled.

I would prefer this. It's simple and easy to use.

Here's another option. You can make the quality of the communications a
function of ECM.

Short recap of SG2 ECM rules: When using ECM each ECM unit is given
(usually) 3 ECM chits. When the ECM unit is activated and goes ACTIVE,
the ECM chits are available for use at any time during that turn.

Rule suggestion: Give the opposing player one or more ECM chits that are
always automatically activated at the beginning of a turn. The
communications rolls are handled as normal, but the opposing player may
spend his ECM chits as he sees fit to muck up communications.

Potential issues off the top of my head are as follows:

1) These can get confused with regular ECM chits. New chits, perhaps,
would be better. Perhaps call them "Comm Problem" chits or something.
Allow them only for communication rolls, and nothing else. This
essentially adds a new mechanic to the game, but one based on an
existing mechanic.

2) How many chits should be given? Good question, and could take a while
to get the balance right. I'd suggest perhaps 1 chit per potential
leader activation. This would have the effect of hurting each
communications roll, or allowing the opponent to REALLY try to mess up
one roll while leaving others untouched.

3) How many chits can be used at once? This is limited, in the ECM
rules, by the number of chits that the player gets and the use of chits
by that player's opponent. I'd use the "3 chit" rule from suppression
counters and allow no more than 3 chits to be used at any one time.

The reason I like this chit idea is that it increases player
participation. SG2 is good for this, but giving players yet another
point of tension is always good. My Operation: Dust Off scenario at
GenCon was the first time I used ECM in a scenario, and all players
found it to be fun.

Another advantage of the chit system is that you can use it to simulate
a wide range of factors. Say, for instance, that there is some sort of
general communication mess up in the battle zone. Perhaps a space battle
is taking out communications satellites, or nuclear explosives are
adding EMP to the area, or there is jamming taking place in the area.
You could add or subtract chits per turn based on the strategic
implications. Maybe each turn the opposing player gets an additional
chit as satellites are knocked out of orbit. Or perhaps the player
starts with 6 chits per turn but loses one each time a leader unit
conducts a Reorganise action (representing someone fixing a radio).

Just a thought, anyway.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: Mishaps in space Next: [DS] Force Organizations