Prev: Re: [ft]modular ships Next: Re: [FT]Modular Ships

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: mary <r2bell@h...>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:32:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Beth Fulton wrote:

>  >2xMass cost for the hull only increases the cost of the ship by
slightly
>  >less than a third, and maybe the mass lost can be left out (as all
that
>  >is really necessary, upon reflection is more volume).
>
> Given you're already paying for the extra modules that just sit round
doing
> diddly most of the time I think the extra cost of 2xmass is uncalled
for -
> it would be enough I'd say to price it out of being an option for
> poor/small navies which it would otherwise be ideally suited for.

This really depends on what repair model you are using.  If you allow a
system to be replaced with any system of the same mass for its basic
cost, then all ships are modular anyway.  If changing a "non-modular"
ship's configuration is more expensive, or more time consuming, than
swapping modules, then some expense must have gone into the modular ship
to make swapping modules easier.  Lastly, the modules are not doing
diddly if they can be swapped faster than they can be repaired.

Prev: Re: [ft]modular ships Next: Re: [FT]Modular Ships