Prev: Re: [OT] Quiet Next: Re: Those darned B1's

Re: [FT] Comments to Ship Design

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:32:21 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Comments to Ship Design

Aron Clark wrote:

>All designs made with Schoon's FT3 Excel spread sheet, which has >made
things much easier

Unless Schoon has gotten all the bugs out of his spread sheet now, I'd
recommend Dean's FB2-upgraded version instead.

> Fleet I - Up to 10 of the following
>Star Wolf Cruiser
>Mass 80
>Cost 254
>Hull Average / 24 Boxes
>Thrust 8 [heavy G race, can easily out maneuver other human tech]

Humans are able to maneuver at thrust 8, at least in the GZG-verse
<shrug>

>FTL
>Class 2 Beam (F, FS, FP) x 2
>Class 1 Beam x 1
>Sub Pack x 2 (AS, AP) [for the high speed pass at close range]
>Fire Control x 2
>PDS x 3
>ADFC x 1
>Cargo Space x 2  [to hold the loot from planetary raids]

Legal design.

>[I'd wanted to include a SML, but that just seemed to push the cost a
>bit over the top]

Depends on how much ammo you put into it.

>White Star Destroyer
>Mass 33
>Cost 104
>Hull Average / 10 Boxes
>Thrust 6
>FTL
>Class	3 Beam x 1 (F) [ie great big B5 beam]
>Class 1 Beam x 1
>Fire Control x 1
>PDS x 2
>Passenger Space x 2 [to increase # of hull boxes]

Legal design, but if you use the FB1 design rules you only need 1 Mass
of passenger space to get 10 hull boxes. If you use the FB2 rules you
don't need any passenger space at all since the number of hull boxes
doesn't depend on the mass of the ship (except for the required 10%
minimum, of course).

Under FB2, the ship could look like this:

White Star Destroyer
Mass 30
Cost 99
Hull Average / 10 Boxes
Thrust 6
FTL
Class  3 Beam x 1 (F) [ie great big B5 beam]
Class 1 Beam x 1
Fire Control x 1
PDS x 2

...unless of course you want the passenger space for the same reasons
as the Star Wolf has its cargo bays.

>Unnamed Mimbari Cruiser
>Mass 78 / 23 Boxes
>Cost 268 + 18 = 286
>Hull Average / 23 Boxes
>Thrust 4
>FTL
>Class 4 Beam x 1 (F)
>Class 3 Beam x 1 (F, FS, FA)

I assume you mean "(F, FS, FP)" here - the "Forward Aft" arc sounds a
bit strange :-/

>Class 1 Beam x 3
>Fire Control x 3
>Hangar Bay x 1
>Fighter Group x 1
>PDS x 4

Illegal design; the components add up to TMF 80.

IME single-arc weapons on low-maneuverability ships only work in
Cinematic when the targets have thrust-3 or less. They're good in
Vector, of course.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Quiet Next: Re: Those darned B1's