Prev: Re: Philcon was: [OT] Quiet Next: [OTish] Lyrics

Re: Philcon was: [OT] Quiet

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:45:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Philcon was: [OT] Quiet

At 04:17 PM 8/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>John Crimmins wrote:
>
>> I'm planning on being there, so I can promise you at least one
player.  I
>> should warn you, though: my group ran SGII and FT at Philcon a few
years
>> back, and had very few takers.  We did better with FT...we had two
players
>> for our Stargrunt game.
>
>    Honestly, I'm going more to "show the colors" than anything else.
Of
>course, I'd prefer to have players, all things being equal.  What do
you
think
>of me running my FT Pod Racing variant?  Do you think that media-themed
games
>are a better choice?  Do you think that my Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
plus all
>their lackies is a good DS2 scenario to run there?

I think that it might be a bit more of a draw.	Most people would walk
by,
see the (GZG) figures, and sniff "Warhammer?" before walking off to
quickly
to stop them.  We had a very nice board, too....  It's worth noting that
out FT game was being run at the same time as the costume competition,
and
we *still* got more players -- GW wasn't doing spaceships at the time,
and
mor passers-by became curious at the sight of our board.

The Pod Racing would go over very well, at a guess.  Expect a goodly
number
of kids, though -- some find this to be a disadvantage, others feel
quite
the opposite.  And the Godzilla game...well, that's a subject near and
dear
to my heart.  I've got a game of my own, Destroy All Monsters!, at

http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/Monsters.html

(and if you could use any terrain help, a normal DAM! board can be seen
at
http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim/MonsterG.html )

But I digress.	A Godzilla DSII game would be a big hit, methinks.
Everyone loves Godzilla, right?

>>  If nothing else, I'd love to do some pick-up games of Full Thrust.
>
>    Do you think pick-up games are the way to go?  I'm thinking it
would be a
>better way to attract new players by actually setting up programmed
games,
with
>players able to pre-reg and on-site reg for the event.  What do you
think?

No, it's not -- programmed games are a much better way to go, especially
attract new players.  I'm just thinking of myself, in a typically
selfish
kind of way...I haven't had a nice, simple, head-to-head game of FT in a
very long time.  I miss it.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Philcon was: [OT] Quiet Next: [OTish] Lyrics