Prev: Re: Vertical damage...... Next: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

allan's arty

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:59:13 -0400
Subject: allan's arty

Allan, calm my brother!

My answer to you is this: Though I do not use arty much (I prefer TacAir
because it can be directed, controlled, and fought by the defender), I
would
say all off table air strikes or fire missions arrive not at Box 1, but
at
the Battle Area. If you want an immediate Fire Mission, you put it on
the
track at Box 1, then at the end of the round it arrives at the Battle
Area
and hits home. This might be platoon mortars or a registered, dedicated
battery attached at company level.

Just go with what makes the most fun - do you like your arty quick or
slow?
Is anyone but you gonna notice? :)

Many scenarios I play involve Spec Forces or small underequipped troops
on
the move. Arty is often not an option.

When my air units enter the board, I have AA small arms rules and
Anti-Air
GMS rules to deal with them. This makes them a fun part of the battle
and I
do use confidence levels for them so they don't just route off the
board.
(Generally, by the time someone gets around to dealing with the air
units,
it involves laying an HKP/4 or a HEL/4 into them.... at which point they
blow up so morale isn't often a huge problem - though I've seen
GMS/P-Air
take them out too). Strangely, with Aliens VTOLs, the biggest danger
zone is
the rear of the vehicle. So as long as it sits at the map edge front-on
the hostiles, it has reasonable armour. If it turns away, it tends to
take a
shot up the kilt... often terminal.

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Q:  If Brian Kernighan had joined the Royal Navy,
what position would they have given him?
A: First 'C' Lord.

Prev: Re: Vertical damage...... Next: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)