Prev: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts) Next: Re: Events that kill minis

Re: Noisy Cricket

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:02:15 +0200
Subject: Re: Noisy Cricket

Andrew Apter wrote:

>I would like to see a high lethality low mass high point cost weapon
for
>smaller ships. Such a weapon should have the following limits:
>  Limited to forward arc and being the only weapon.
>  Other than point defence weapons, it is the only weapon that can be
>fired in turn of fireing.
>
>Range 0 to 24 mu fires one dice hits 3, 4, 5, 6..
>   3 = one point damage
>   4 = one point damage
>   5 = three points damage pentation like K-gun
>   6 = nine points damage  pentation like p-torp
>
>mass 2, ten points per mass,  for a total of 20 points.
>
>Shield shift die roll -1 point per level.
>
>A great weapon for small ships but a waste for big ships.

Um... you may want to reconsider.

This is a great weapon if the enemy large ships have no screens, but it
is almost useless if the target has level-1 or stronger screens - one
level of screens reduces the average damage of this weapon by 2/3, and
two screens reduce it by about 5/6.

So, well... assuming that you only fight against unscreened forces, or
that your enemy only uses heavy frigates and destroyers, this weapon
might be worthwhile. If you made it ignore screens completely, it might
be worthwhile.

As it is currently described however, I wouldn't pay more than 5-6
points per Mass for it... and that's if I know that the enemy doesn't
use any screens whatsoever.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts) Next: Re: Events that kill minis