Prev: Re: Vertical Damage Next: Re: Vertical Damage

Re: Vertical Damage

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:44:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Vertical Damage

> >a) a cutter beam does 1d6 like a PTorp, but vertically.  If
you
> >get to the end of a column with one shot, you do 1 threshold
at
> >5+; if you knock out two columns in one shot, you do a 4+
> >threshold, etc.
>
> This seems too powerful in my book. On a large ship, those 5+
or 4+
> thresholds are going to be unbalancing.

It's only unbalancing if the cost is wrong.  Say a cutter beam
has range 12" and costs 10 mass and 30 points--is it still
unbalancing?  How about 20 mass and 60 points?

Note also that against an armored ship you have a 1 in 3 chance
of doing a threshold (and it should have been a "6" not a "5+", I
misspoke in my original post) and you can't do a 5+ unless the
ship has lost a hull row (because you can't get more than 6
damage at a time and it always comes from an undamaged column if
there are any).  Once a ship gets to its third hull row, though,
it's done for.

> >b) Roll as Beam dice but also roll 1d6 for location.  1-3 is
> >first track (ie armor, if the ship has it), 4-5 is 2nd, 6 is
> >reroll; reroll 1-3 is 3rd track, 4-5 is 4th track, 6 is 5th
track
> >(last hull row for an armored ship).
>
> This is kind of a cool idea.

thanks!  I'm mildly surprised that you didn't read my mind again.
You're slipping, Schoon--or are you designing more models to the
detriment of my budget?

Prev: Re: Vertical Damage Next: Re: Vertical Damage