Prev: Re: Please ignore ramblings from Mr. Han - our apologies [OT] Next: RE: Borg Cube

Re: [ft] Orbits in Vector

From: Tony Christney <tchristney@h...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:14:53 -0700
Subject: Re: [ft] Orbits in Vector

>  >Does anyone have a system for doing on-table planets and orbits with
>>vector movement?
>>  I'd kind of like to be able to do slingshot maneuvers and...
>
>Actually, the so-called "slingshot" maneuver doesn't actually add much
>_speed_ to an object.	It relies on the distinction between speed and
>velocity, in which velocity is a speed in a particular direction,
whereas
>speed just measures distance travelled over time.

Hi,

I found this link
[http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/orbits/gravasst/gravasst.html] that
describes the orbital mechanics in detail. The end result is that the
craft doesn't change it relative speed with respect to the planet,
but dramatically increases its total kinetic energy with respect
to the sun. In game turns, the gravitational assist won't do much
to the spacecraft's speed unless the planet is moving during the game.
In his example, the spacecraft increases its speed relative to
the sun from 9.36 km/s to 16.17 km/s (173% as fast!), without the
use of any fuel.

However, it can be used to change the direction of the velocity
vector almost arbitrarily. Having never played FT, I can't really
go into much more detail than that.

>Just my nickel ninety-five.
>
>bart

TTYL,
Tony C.
--

Tony Christney

Prev: Re: Please ignore ramblings from Mr. Han - our apologies [OT] Next: RE: Borg Cube