Prev: RE: Graveyard (Moya/Talyn. Others) Next: Re: [EBAY] Silent Death ships for sale

[FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:09:26 -0400
Subject: [FT] Scenario/One-Offs victory points

When I ran the Cygnus Fleet Proving Exercise (PBeM), I divided the cost
of
the ship by the number of damage points to get victory points. This
worked
well, but was awakward and required more calculation in bookkeeping than
cared for.

Then I saw that someone was using crew factors for victory points. This
worked well and was simple to keep track of. Unfortunatly, it can't be
used
with the SV (no crew factors).

I want to set victory/loss conditions so that a fleet will break off
when it
reaches a specific level. So victory points that are calculated at the
end
do not meet my need.

What else is used?

Ships Destroyed.
Does not take into account the value of the ships (is a scout equal to a
SDN?). Also, only credits ships that are destroyed (no credit for
damage).

Hull Boxes.
This can vary on how a ship is constructed. It does not truely represent
the
value of the ship. (a CE and BC can have the same number of damage
points).
Also SV use up hull boxes for drones and pods. Do you count these? If
so,
the SV works toward loosing every time it uses one. If not, there is no
way
to gain victory points from the used boxes, so the value of the SV is
lower
than should be.

Damage Points.
This can vary on how a ship is constructed. It does not truely represent
the
value of the ship. (a CE and BC can have the same number of damage
points).
And many SV will produce less victory points than they should due to
using
biomass.

Mass.
Again, you either have to count the whole ship ro divide it into damage
points or hull points. (See above comments).

Cost.
Again, you either have to count the whole ship ro divide it into damage
points or hull points. (See above comments).

With capture the flag/destroy the bismark scenarios, it is easier as
there
is a win/loose goal unrelated to the damage of each individual ship in
the
fleet.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

Prev: RE: Graveyard (Moya/Talyn. Others) Next: Re: [EBAY] Silent Death ships for sale