Prev: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory Next: Re: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own speedlimit) [OT]

Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:57:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

> > > A photon is actually an electron/anti-electron pair.

[snip maths]

> > So, how is it possible that all photons are electron/positron pairs
> > when photons typically have much lower energies than the minimum
> > energy of such a pair?
>
> Because that is not really the case. Photons "are" distinct particles
> and not e+e- pairs.

I know that, I was proving that the previous statement was wrong.

> However, high-energy-photons - as you calculated
> above, I didn't check the numbers - can be converted into
> electron-positron pairs when interacting with matter or other photons.

I didn't check the numbers either. But they seem right. Working with
these silly units is a drag. But I thought that using eV and so on
might confuse some people. If anyone is still reading this thread at
all ;-)

	Steve

--
"Politics is for the moment.  An equation is for eternity."
						 -- Albert Einstein

Steve Pugh	   <steve@pugh.net>	   <http://steve.pugh.net/>