Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku balancing (made ya flinch) Next: [OT -ish] Sound In Space

Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own speed limit)

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 21 Jul 2000 07:06:14 -0700
Subject: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own speed limit)

On Thu, 20 July 2000, Tony Christney wrote:

> They seem to know what was happening.

In the January 2000 (not March 2000 issue, as I erroneously reported
earlier) there is an interesting article on negative energy and warping
space. They suggest that with enough negative energy you COULD produce a
space warp field sort of like Star Trek. However, they also suggest that
you would need some sort of outside help to create the warp bubble (sort
of like B5 jump gates) and you wouldn't be able to turn, just move
straight ahead. This has me thinking about a few things for one of my
own homegrown universes.

At any rate, the idea of travelling faster than light as viewed from our
frame of reference has been given some serious consideration for a while
now. While many scientists used to scoff at the idea, apparently those
nasty black hole things and the way they stretch our understanding of
physics at the event horizon has pulled scientists in interesting
directions.

You can find the article on the Scientific American web site, but it
costs $5 to download it...

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku balancing (made ya flinch) Next: [OT -ish] Sound In Space