Prev: RE: [FT] Scenario for review Next: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

From: "Paul Radford" <paulradford@i...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:23:53 +0100
Subject: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>

>>due to the opponents becoming despondent about the whole thing and
>>having no hope of victory.

>That's the easiest way to win any battle, and the only way to win a war

This is true, but its never happened before in any of our FT games up
until
the SV came along. They usually get fought to the bitter end!

>>Movement method was cinematic and ships were FB2 designs. The
>>Sa'Vasku would apply max power to thrust, then cruise at speed with
>>sufficient power to make turns of up to 3 with the remaining power
>>being applied to the offensive pool. The Sa'Vasku player did not even
>>fire a single pod, as there was simply no need.
>
>They were never hit by plasma bolts, then?

Not once! The player using the Phalons was not me, but someone who has
played using FSE fleets for about 80% of his many FT games. My point
being
that he has the most experience (in our group) when it comes to placing
missile markers for intercepting and hitting ships. Even with the area
effect of the PBL, he was unable to hit a SV ship.

>Depends a bit on the Pulser mix the Phalons use though, and as usual on
>the table size. You need a fairly large (or floating) table in order to
>stay outside range 36mu all the time, and only the SV BCs and bigger
>are able of firing in the 36-48mu range band while simultaneously
>powering their engines.

He had a mix of C, M, and L range in case the SV came in close (they
never
really did). We always use floating tables, and yes, he always avoided
the
PBLs. The range wasn't always greater than 36", but being completely
unpredictable as to where an SV ship will end up, the PBLs were never on
target. He didn't need to use the smaller ships for long range firing.
The
SV capital ships chipped away at the Phalons. If the Phalons had gone
for
all long range Pulsars, the player felt he might have done better (but
he
wasn't to know what would happen with it being his first game against
SV).
On average, the Phalon ships were getting one or two dice to attack with
each turn. The SV were inflicting much more. Incidentally, this battle
was
on my web pages (Siege of Lienz: Random Factors). So was the other SV
fiasco
(Siege of Lienz: Time To Depart).

>Spicules "rolls one die with exactly the same effects as a standard
>PDS", which means that they also work against Plasma Bolts. At least
>the Phalons ought to have had *some* of those :-/

The ships were equipped but as mentioned, never came close.

Cheers,

Paul
"Oh my god! They've summoned Cthulhu! You bastards!

Web Pages:
http://www.innotts.co.uk/~paulradford/

Prev: RE: [FT] Scenario for review Next: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")