Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: [FT] Scenario for review

Re: [FT] Scenario for review

From: "McCarthy, Tom" <TomMcCarthy@x...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:44:36 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Scenario for review

I suggested an escorting scheme which not only reduced the damage to the
target ship, but also caused a net loss of damage inflicted.  Matthew
suggested this was an error, but I had done this intentionally, and it
comes
down to PSB who's right.

If the escorting ship is physically interposing itself in order to take
the
hit, then yes, it should take probably take all the damage aimed at the
target.  If it is interposing itself semi-successfully but deliberately,
the
target should  take some damage and the escort should take some,
possibly
with a net increase in damage done.  If the escort is using
countermeasures
and ECM to protect the target and itself and happens to be hit by some
misdirected fire, than the target should take some damage and the escort
should take some, but there should be a net reduction in damage
inflicted by
the attacker.

The situation I deliberately tried to create was one where you could
outmaneouvre the escort to attack the target at 100% efficiency, but if
the
escort outmaneouvred you, you had to attack the escort at 100% or the
target
at something less than 100%.  The escort has surrendered any movement
freedom he might have, so I choose to penalize or force a choice on the
attacker then, not the defender.  Your suggestion is that I should be
able
to choose between attacking the escort at 100% or the target at 80% with
the
extra 20% plus some extra applied to the escort, which I find
unpalatable.

I said I find it unpalatable; both are workable rules and people should
use
the one they prefer.

Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: [FT] Scenario for review