Prev: Full Thrust/Roleplaying interface Next: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed

Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:24:42 +0100
Subject: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga

In message <002601bff014$356cd400$943ba8c2@monnery>
	  "Bryn Monnery" <sue.monnery@virgin.net> wrote:

[snip Saratoga stats]

> > Thats quite a lot of fighters!
>
> Yes, it is, and it's a lot of carriers given the established
background.

> When doing a S:AAB FT2 game, I rewatched the various battle scenes.
The
> Saratoga never launches a strike of more than 24 fighters, even when
> outnumbered at least 3:1 by Chig carriers, I'm more of the opinion
that the
> Saratoga is more a generic Capital Ship with both fighter and
battleship
> armaments, and acting as an assault ship. They call the Saratoga a
carrier,
> the JFK class carrier manifest lists Colin Powell as a carrier, while
it is
> consistantly a Battleship in the series.
>
> I'm off the opinion that that Saratoga, and the one actually in the
series
> don't match up at all.

Um... well, they _look_ the same :-)
I think its a case of the CGI gys designing the thing, cooking up some
'stats' for it, and then finding it being used differently by the script
:-)

Incidentally - vaguly amusing point from the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modelling
interview - the big spinal mount gun the the Saratoga was originaly
designated a reactor by the designer, until someone else pointed out
that as it was on the outside of the ship, it was a bit vulnerable :-)

> I'll try and FB1 my Saratoga stats tonight, and send them on....
>
> Bryn
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/9292/UK.htm

Re.. the old 'wet navy' comments about this tub - the more I look at it,
the more it begins to look like a WWI/WWII battleship with the bow
sliced off :-)

Charles

--

Prev: Full Thrust/Roleplaying interface Next: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed