Prev: RE: A Strange senerio Next: GZG at GenCon

Yet another Sa'Vasku Pod design

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:53:47 +0100
Subject: Yet another Sa'Vasku Pod design

Yes, yet another Sa'Vasku pod design - I've recently collated all the
ones posted to this List, and this brings the total to 11!

So I think we have enough, for now :-) (Even though there is some
overlap in functionality - compare my Gunge Pods with Brian Bell's EMP
Pods - both knock out systems in a ship-wide basis, but use slightly
different game mechanics (and vastly different PSB) to do so.

Any, cut to the chase-
Mine Pods
These pods are the Sa‘Vasku equivalent of human mines. They float
freely
in space until an enemy ship moves with their sensor range, at which
point they release a stinger-like pulse of energy, inflicting damage
upon the ship that triggered them, and consuming themselves in the
process.
Mine Pods require a variable amount of power to fire, and consume 1
biomass.
The power used determines the eventual strength of the Mine Pod, and can
be up to 6 power points, +1 to lay the mine, thus it requires 2 to 7
power points to lay a Mine Pod. Laying Mine Pods is the same as using a
minelayer system (Full Thrust page 18-19). A Mine Pod has a trigger
range of 3 mu, any enemy ship entering this space will trigger the Mine
Pod. When a Mine Pod fires, it does a number of beam dice of damage
equal to the number of power points invested in it (re-rolls apply). For
example, a Sa‘Vasku ship uses 4 power points and 1 biomass to lay a
Mine
Pod, if the Mine Pod was triggered, it would inflict 3 beam dice of
damage on the triggering ship. All normal screen, armour/carapace, and
vapour shroud defences apply as normal.

Notes: I'm not sure whether or not the maximum power limit is necessary
- but if you take it out, imagine a scenario where the Sa'Vasku can
pre-lay a minefield - send out a Vas'Sa'Rosh - which pootles around at
thrust 1 laying 3 mines a turn - 2 are strength 1, and the remaining one
is strength 31! (That would be one _scary_ minefield :-)

I did consider the option of laying dummy, strength 0 mines (1 power
point + 1 biomass) - but who would bother?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, criticism, etc.

Charles (exit stage left, pursued by bear)

--

Prev: RE: A Strange senerio Next: GZG at GenCon