Prev: DS2 and SG2: Flora and fauna Next: Re: Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?

Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?

Okay, call me a heretical fool, but I haven't yet gotten either of these
two
and I'm wondering what the general overlook of them is without having to
buy one and/or break the shrink wrap over at Military Corner.

Generally, I think I'd want to play out ground actions with at least a
fair
amount of scale.  As far as I can tell, Dirtside works better for this
than
Stargrunt -- i.e. Dirtside seems to be more of unit-based actions
whereas
Stargrunt seems like it's man-by-man.  This seems further borne out (a
little)
by the descriptions on the back of the books, where Dirtside says it
works
for "a few platoons up to a batallion" whereas Stargrunt works for "a
few
squads up to a company".  In addition, Dirtside has support for actions
of
scale like aerospace landings and the like, whereas Stargrunt proclaims
itself
to be a Full Metal Anorak system which (based on both the movie metaphor
and
what I see on this mailing list) seems like it's pretty microscale in
the
way the action unfolds.

So, if I'm aiming at linking the game in with Full Thrust troop-landing
actions
and want to put at least a bit of large scale into it, the way I
understand it
is that Dirtside is closer to what I'm aiming at than Stargrunt, no?
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: DS2 and SG2: Flora and fauna Next: Re: Dirtside vs. Stargrunt?