Prev: Cost of armour Next: Re: Cost of armour

Re: interesting Glen's designs/gaming

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:50:02 EDT
Subject: Re: interesting Glen's designs/gaming

>From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
>Subject: Re: interesting (Glen's designs)

>>Glen Bailey wrote:
>
>>When you play against someone using "FX" & "RX" weapons so that
>>they end up shooting at you more often than you shoot at them then
>>you tend to lose, or at least I do.
>
>OTOH, "FX" and "RX" weapons are so big that a narrower-arced ship often
>outguns them quite impressively in the initial salvoes. The trick (OK,
>one of them) is to hit them hard enough in those salvoes that they
>don't get any *more* salvoes off while you're turning back for your
>next attack ;-)

In THEORY (said in a Homer Simpson-style sarcastic voice) this seems
plausible, but in practice it never worked that way.  Unless you want
to play with MD2 ships you will never double up on the amount of
weapons the enemy has since you'll need more space for drives.
It also doesn't help that Steve rolls like a demon, especially when
firing on my ships or even my designed ships that someone else is
running.  Hmm, maybe that's why no one bothers looking at my designs
to play any more?

>>I'm not a missile man, and I have this knack for hitting BJs when I do
>>use them.
>
>I usually try to destroy BJs before the missiles go in

Steve's BJs are not really BJs, most are mass 34 missile destroyers
with about 5 armor and 10 hull.  A salvo taking one out is a good
thing, but not when 6-8 salvoes hit it.
I may to try a wave approach the next time I want to use missiles.
The first wave is the heavies to target the BJs and then the
missile ships follow with salvoes on the next turn.  They have
to be a bit back or they'll be the first ships the enemy targets.

Re: wet navy style BBs

>The ones on your page had only 6-8 PDS, which isn't that much. As I
>said, they need some serious ADFC-equipped support ships... the
>Atlantas you mention sound quite appropriate :-)

But two together is 12-16 PDS, plus 5-7 class-1 beams for the
missile-targeted ship.

>BTW, are the "multi-system" turrets destroyed by a single needle hit?

No, that would give needle beams too much of an advantage.

>>He was happy to get to speed 10 whereupon the crew would break out
>>the champagne (now it's at speed 20 with the MD2 ships).
>
>Pretty impressive. Sounds like a fairly large table, and/or floating
>edges?

The table is 6' x 8' (183cm x 244cm) and we do play with a
floating map.  Lately he hasn't gotten up to speed 20 but
staying in the 12-16 speed range or otherwise his turning
arc is too large.

All this will be moot in two weeks as Steve is leaving for
Jacksonville, Florida, about an 8 hour drive from Miami.
And in one of the last FT sessions we'll have while he's
here I'll be at Origins.  We also lost another player this
week (moving away), another is ill and not getting better
so he hasn't been around much, and another has a varying
work schedule.	Good thing Matt and Andy are still here.
(hi guys!)

Glen
PS. I give up, I can't figure out what PSB stands for.
But I'll take a stab at it: Point System Balance?

Prev: Cost of armour Next: Re: Cost of armour