Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku FTL Next: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs

Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Battle report - Dreadplanet vs KV

> The battle featured the Dreadplanet Roberts Mk.1 (ie. with needle
beams
> - not that it would've mattered much if they had been B1s instead) for
> 5000 pts against an FB2 KV fleet consisting of 17 Si'Tek escort
> cruisers and 1 Ko'Tek strike cruiser (5001 pts).=20

> * The KV flew at speed 30-40 throughout most of the battle (except for
> the first six turns when they were accellerating!), and had no
problems
> staying on the fairly small, fixed playing area or indeed to end up
> almost exactly where they wanted.

Yeah, my test with my wife involved ships with only thrust 3 rather than
thrust 6, albeit with far more scatterguns than usual and class 5 K's
rather
than class 3's.

> * The fighters attacked too late due to my attempt to wear the KV's
> scatterguns down with PBs first. As it was they took horrible losses
> from scattergun fire when they finally did attack, but they would've
> been no worse mauled had they attacked during the second KV attack run
> instead of the third... and they would probably have reduced the early
> damage to the DPR by some 20-30 points. Ah well.

My own tactic probably would've been to put the PBs in greater
concentration
and take the gamble.  Yes, it probably would've meant that I would've
cleanly
missed a fair amount but it also would've meant that one good hit
would've
decided the battle (by reducing scattergun count to ineffectually low
levels).

> All in all it turned out to be a very close fight, and one which could
> fairly easily have gone the other way (or at least cost the KV
> considerably more). I'd expect custom-designed anti-DPR Kra'Vak ships
> (considerably fewer but much sturdier (reducing the PB hazard), and
> with somewhat more scatterguns) to do a bit better than the
> published/"official" designs, though :-/

Most likely...
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku FTL Next: Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs