Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters

Re: "interesting"? (Re: Glen's designs)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:38:29 +0200
Subject: Re: "interesting"? (Re: Glen's designs)

Glen Bailey wrote:

>So, Oerjan, exactly how are my designs "interesting"?
>The actual systems or the silhouette and layout?  Both?
>I'm curious since you seem to have seen many.

I've seen a few, yes... What I found interesting was the actual
systems; particularly the relatively large number of large
more-than-3-arc weapons. And, of course, the extremely low thrust
rating on the "wet-navy" battleships; such engines are extremely rare
in my experience... I get a distinct impression that you don't use
missiles very much :-/

>Thanks for the design suggestions for the Gazelle escort.
>Does FB2 have anything covering tugs or do we have to
>wait for FT3?

We have to wait for FT3, I'm afraid. Some thoughts on this subject were
floated during the FB2 playtesting, but there was neither time enough
to develop them nor space in FB2 to print them :-(

>Btw, those "old wet navy BBs" are a little outdated.  Steve
>upped their MD to 2 and they have 25% devoted to hull, a
>single screen, and about 12-13% armor.  He also downgraded
>some class-3s to class-2s to get the mass.

Even with these modifications they need some serious ADFC-equipped
support ships (or lots of Banzai Jammers) to save them from salvo
missiles, though... and they're exactly the sort of targets FB2 Kra'Vak
want to fight :-)

>Steve upped the MD after having two different ones fail MD
>threshold checks and send his battlewagons off to distant
>parts away from the battle since he could never get it fixed.

Did he fly fast enough to actually get anywhere when this happened?
Even I wouldn't fly thrust-1 ships much faster than speed 12...

>Also, because I started having more needle beams in battles.
>He also added the screens after he ran into a few beam-2
>ships (mine: 12 to 20 class-2s FP+F+FS), flip ships, and
>MD6 beam-1 ships.

<g> If you start using SMs in earnest, or FB2 Kra'Vak, I think he'll
also discover why thrust-4 engines are the standard in FB1 <g>

>I just added 3 Kzinti designs to my website (BC, FF, DF).

Won't have time to check these until Monday; will do so then.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters