Prev: RE: Cannibalism (and yes it was on topic) Next: Re: Glen Bailey's ship designs

Re: Cannibalism (and yes it was on topic)

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:12:53 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Cannibalism (and yes it was on topic)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Roger Books wrote:
>
> > Maybe the Sa'Vasku are beyond fusion, how about tapping into
> > the energy that exists in empty space?  I was (6 months or
> > so ago) reading that the current theories predict a rather
> > large amount of energy in empty space, but nobody has a clue
> > how to tap it.
>
>	You mean the "zero point energy".
>	Dr. Robert Forward thinks there is a way to
>	tap it using the Casmir Effect.

he's not alone - i came up with a Casimir-exploiting zero-point power
source when i was at school. i explained to a a friend, who called it
'the
clappy drive' (the design involved a forest of metal plates oscillating
back and forth) and ridiculed it. a few years on, he is now studying
physics here at oxford, and he now claims that it will work and that he
invented it, the &*"!&*. fr the record, if the Fitt Device does ever
make
it big, it was my idea. details can be supplied to interested parties if
they really wish.

tom

Prev: RE: Cannibalism (and yes it was on topic) Next: Re: Glen Bailey's ship designs