Prev: Re: [DS] Scenario Design for Cons Next: Re: Reality disfunction

Re: Reality disfunction

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:01:54 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Reality disfunction

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Andrew Martin wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Roger Books wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, and bio-habitats can swallow. :)
> >
> > <blinks><reads message again>
> >
> > Beg pardon?
>
> Indeed yes, they can. Roger is right. In FT, is't like putting
Translight
> drives on a space station. And 'hawks can swallow into habitats.

they can, but it's naughty!

> Read Reality Disfunction and the two sequels, (US readers - I believe
it was
> made into 5 or 6 short books).

well, 5 or 6 medium-length books :). the series is known as the 'night's
dawn' trilogy, btw.

> Really enjoyable books. Ground action, space
> action, and epic love story as well.

i'll be the sole dissenting voice here and say that i thought they were
rubbish. well, 'the reality dysfunction' was - i didn't read the others,
but a friend told me how it ends, and i thought it sounded dire. the
plot
was good (kinda), the space combat was fun if not terribly hard-sf, but
the depth of the characters and quality of language were appalling. mind
you, i dislike half the books people reccommend on this list, which
means
most people will probably love the night's dawn trilogy! this may be
down
to the fact that when it comes to reading, i'm actually not a big
combat-sf fan (although 'bolo' is pretty good, and you can't knock 'the
forever war').

tom

Prev: Re: [DS] Scenario Design for Cons Next: Re: Reality disfunction