Prev: Re: UNSC starships Next: Re: My designs

Re: Crowbars & Planetbusters

From: "Anthony Leibrick" <a.leibrick@v...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:22:52 +0100
Subject: Re: Crowbars & Planetbusters

----- Original Message -----
From: <aebrain@dynamite.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 6:54 AM

> Example:
> * FTL travel gets buggered up by gravity wells.
> * It gets REALLY buggered up by rapidly rotating or moving masses
nearby.

> So you want to exit in an area of space that is relatively flat. And
you
really,
> really want to be exiting with a low relative velocity to nearby
masses,
and
> they had better not be spinning too fast if they're near, even if
they're
small.

> Try to exit FTL at a relativistic speed within 10e6 AU of a sun, and
one
of
> the following is guaranteed to happen:
> * nothing. You softly and silently vanish away and are never heard
from
again.

> * you emerge somewhere in the vicinity of your target position, but
with a
direction
> that's non-deterministic. Bits of you do, anyway.
> * You bounce back to your original position, direction as above.
> * FTL doesn't occur at all.
> * something even weirder.

I came across this when I was ploughing thru my backlog of messages.
Isn't 10e6 AU something in the region of 16 Light-years!!

Tony

"Eku staras flonderans"
-????

It's Time to Take Advantage of the Internet.
Join AllAdvantage.com at
http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=LBY-249

Prev: Re: UNSC starships Next: Re: My designs