Prev: Fw: Footfall (off-list) Next: Re: UNSC Starships

Re: Fw: Footfall (off-list)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fw: Footfall (off-list)

On 20-Jun-00 at 08:17, Laserlight (laserlight@quixnet.net) wrote:

> b) Footfall is good but not great.  I've read it twice since it
> came out--by comparison, I'm on my second  _copy_ of Mote in
> God's Eye.  I had difficulty following the alien politics (Niven
> doesn't seem to like giving his aliens short names), and I felt
> it could have been shorter without losing anything.  I'd
> recommend instead The Warrior's Apprentice or The Vor Game by
> Lois Bujold.

I'd have to agree with that, to me the aliens were of the "men
in rubber suits" variety.  There was an attempt to go for herd
mentality but it didn't work very well.

OTH I really consider Legacy of Heorot to be one of the finest
pieces of science fiction I have read.

Roger

Prev: Fw: Footfall (off-list) Next: Re: UNSC Starships