Prev: iCloack Next: Re: The iCloak

Re: The iCloak

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The iCloak

> I would say that missles and fighters need to be within 3MU to attack
the
> iCloaked ship.

Given that the thing has to keep flying in a straight line without
either
accelerating or decelerating to keep its maximum stealth, I'm not sure
that wouldn't just make it pretty darn useless.

>From a PSB standpoint, I could see fighters being allowed to shoot
accurately
at the thing from a 3" range, since they can put up a visual HUD and
just
manually direct fire at it.  A missile, on the other hand, doesn't have
that
luxury; if they've got visual scanners and really good image-processing
software in their guidance systems, I could see it, but I'd think that
finding
loopholes in such software would be very high on the wish list of an
iCloaking
device designer... such that they wouldn't consider the end result
acceptable
for any purpose if it couldn't even fool a bunch of missiles.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: iCloack Next: Re: The iCloak