Prev: Re: Crowbars & Planetbusters Next: Re: Crowbars and energy

Re: Forcing fights

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:11:50 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Forcing fights

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> Would depend on how you argue the range of your long-range sensors and

> the speed of your vessels compared to that. With Ultra-long-range
> sensors and slow vessels intercepting is easy, with short range
> sensors and fast ships, it's impossible.

Well, I tried to calculate with OMNISCIENT sensors. I.e. you immediately
and with absolute certainty know everything happening in the system (but
no a priori knowledge). Even assuming this, AND assuming one single jump
point I found it very hard if not impossible to achieve meaningful
intercepts. With "out of gravity well" FTL, intercepts are effectively
impossible.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I've yet to see anyone take even the
slight mathematical interest in the subject matter I gave it.

Speed, OTOH, is UNLIMITED. And that's a written rule.

Fair is not a matter of taste. Fair simply means that both sides play by
the same rules. E.g. if the attacking ships have fuel limitations, so do
the defending ships.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Crowbars & Planetbusters Next: Re: Crowbars and energy