Prev: RE: Crowbars Next: Re: Crowbars

Re: Crowbars

From: "Christopher K Smith" <smithck72@h...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:40:34 -0500
Subject: Re: Crowbars

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beth Fulton" <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
To: <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 7:40 PM

> Depends why they're invading Earth in many ways and what type of
culture
> they have. One reason maybe if they're 'intellectually' superior and
> believe they're taking us over for our own good. Compound this with
> political or societal issues at home that mean they have to answer for
the
> way the planet is subdued and then there's a lot of restraints on
them.
You
> could end up with a case where our losses are as demoralising to them
as
> their own.

I like that last bit alot.  I was thinking along the lines of racial
survival, though.  A race is eventually going to die out unless it can
get
to another solar system with habitable planets.  So their high tech
enough
to have FTL and realize that a single star system is a dead end,  but
not so
high tech that they can build self contained space habits for large
numbers
of individuals without some type of planetary support.	Or maybe they
have a
"spiritual" or biological need to have their feet on the ground from
time to
time.  Is their any way such a need would evolve or could be engineered
into
an organism?  Say the aliens can only reproduced where they go through
their
"puberty" metamorphosis or something.

Or you could just have them land and start shooting, and never open any
kind
of communications (ala War of the Worlds).  They are alien after all,
who
knows what they are thinking.  I'm not too partial to that idea though.

Christopher K Smith
SR MECH Auburn University
Homepage http://www.auburn.edu/~smithck

Prev: RE: Crowbars Next: Re: Crowbars