Prev: Re: blue! Next: Minor Powers: (was: Find a clue?)

Re: Crowbars

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:40:39 +1000
Subject: Re: Crowbars

G'day

 >On this note, I was thinking of a way to have an alien race invade
earth ala
 >Harry Turtledove's World at War series.  But I want this group of
aliens to
 >have FTL, so they would have a decided edge in the tech area.  Anyway,
the
 >only way I could think of to keep the aliens form just dropping some
 >asteroids on the planet, or using a biological weapon, was to give
them some
 >type of moral imperative against using such tactics.	Something along
the
 >lines of: If you are unwilling to risk personal injury or death to
deny the
 >same to another, then your action is immoral.
 >
 >Anybody got any other ideas.

Depends why they're invading Earth in many ways and what type of culture

they have. One reason maybe if they're 'intellectually' superior and
believe they're taking us over for our own good. Compound this with
political or societal issues at home that mean they have to answer for
the
way the planet is subdued and then there's a lot of restraints on them.
You
could end up with a case where our losses are as demoralising to them as

their own.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: blue! Next: Minor Powers: (was: Find a clue?)