Prev: Re_ Forcing fights, Skirmishers, dreadplanits, convoys and rubber ducks Next: Re: Retrograde skirmishers

Re: Gravity

From: "Brian Thompson" <brianthompson17@h...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:48:40 EST
Subject: Re: Gravity

> > The formula, if I've done it correctly, is
> > r = 6.378 * sqrt (m/g)
> > r = radius in MU
> > 6.378 = radius of Earth in MU (assumes 1 MU is 1000km)
> > m = mass of primary in Earth masses
> > g = gravity quantity you want (in gees)

this formula works, but requires that you calculate the mass  and radius
of
the planet relative to earth.  the equation to find g (gravitational
acceleration in m/s) is as follows, directly out of a physics textbook:

g=6.67*10^-11*M/r^2

^ is a symbol i used for "to the power of"
M is the mass of the planet (or star, etc.) in kg.
6.67*10^-11 is the gravitational constant
r is the distance from the centre of the primary mass to the point of
measurement

this would have to be changed to accept FT units (tons, MU, and whatever

turn length you have agreed apon)

if there is enough interest, i (or someone else) could do up a java
program
to calculate this and post it somewhere.

Prev: Re_ Forcing fights, Skirmishers, dreadplanits, convoys and rubber ducks Next: Re: Retrograde skirmishers