Prev: Economics of dreadplanets Next: Re: FB2 Vapour Shroud

Re: Retrograde skirmishers

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Retrograde skirmishers

> >> You're changing the universe again.

>>Laserlight, this will make _four_ times that I've attempted to point
out on
>>this mailing list that I _do_ fly battleships at random in our
pseudo-campaign,
>>partially for the express purpose of annihilating those who get too
zealous in
>>stocking their PDS by swapping on them unexpectedly.	(And partially
because
>>I like to just play a wide variety of tactics for the sheer enjoyment
value
>>alone.)  Don't accuse me of "changing the universe" because you
weren't paying
>>attention the first three times.

> Each time has been a different facet, I guess.

> I suppose my view of a campaign includes a strong element of
> economics; insofar as I can tell, the "pseudo-campaign" y'all
> are running do not.  That is, it sounds like you can pretty much
> design any ship of any size you like and bring it to the table,
> without having to pay attention to things like R&D costs, scale
> efficiency, logistics, getting the fleet from point A to point
> B, and so forth.  If you described more detail, I didn't see it
> (which is not to say you didn't send it--I get 100-200 messages
> daily and I tend to skim).

It's true that we don't tend to put a terrible amount of detail that
we're
required to respect into our campaign, but there _are_ a few assumptions
involved to explain away why we play it the way we do.

> This is _not_ to say that "bring 5000 points of any description
> to the board" wouldn't be interesting--it would be a useful
> venue to experiment with--I just don't think of that as a
> campaign.  Perhaps you have a URL with the rules where I could
> read them all in one chunk and get the complete picture?

Nope.  One of these days I'll probably put something like that together,
explaining both the underlying assumptions of the game and the various
politics and economics of it.  There's a fair amount of developed
background,
much of which I've thought up and written out as part of the explanation
for
fleet design doctrines, some of which I've pieced together and assumed
from
my brother-in-law's explanations.  I don't know how much of it people
_really_
want me posting to the list, though I would on request. :)
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Economics of dreadplanets Next: Re: FB2 Vapour Shroud