Prev: Re: Gravity Next: Re: Retrograde skirmishers

Re: Gravity

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:52:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Gravity

Nyrath said:
> I don't know how well this will work with cinematic
> movement, but it should be a natural with
> vector movement.  I wonder if you can actually
> do a stable orbit with this?

I haven't had time to lay it out and see if it works.  In theory
your ship's momentum is normal to the line between the ship and
the planetary center.  However, you have to account for the
gravity vector as well, so the ship doesn't move along the
circle, nor along a line tangent to the circle and normal to the
line between ship and center--I'd think it would move on a chord
which continues after intersecting the circle, then gets pulled
back to the circle by the gravity vector.

Time to print up some graph paper with something like 1mm
squares and see what happens.

Prev: Re: Gravity Next: Re: Retrograde skirmishers