Prev: Retrograde gimmickry Next: FTL Communication

Re: thrust-1 zigzag

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:04:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: thrust-1 zigzag

> > > No, but he is firing it from up to 72mu away, at a target with
> >  > thrust-1. It is rather trivial to stay away from the dreadstar
:-/

> >  Well, yes, but he _does_ have to fire the thing while he's pointed
at me.
> >  If I'm approaching him at a zigzag, he's got to turn towards me,
hope he's

> *cough*
> a thrust-1 ship?  zigzag?

> You are joking, right?   :)

Have you played with nova cannons much?  You _are_ aware that they take
three
turns to hit anything at maximum range, right?	In three turns,
_anything_
can get out of the way if it's not completely parked.  And since you
can't
fire the things against even the most unmaneuverable zigzagging enemies
more
often than every two turns or so (i.e. you have to take one turn to
adjust
and then a second to fire unless your enemy goes in a straight line) it
really
doesn't take much to keep out of the thing's way.

Wave guns, different story; they extend to full (but shorter) range all
at
once.  But nova cannons in small numbers are not a particularly
effective
weapon at maximum range.  ANYTHING can out-zigzag them well enough that
if
you concentrate on making them hit, you're not going to keep them at far
enough range that they can't eventually shoot back.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Retrograde gimmickry Next: FTL Communication