Prev: Re: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: blue!

Re: Custom Fleets -> Oerjan's ships......

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:32:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Custom Fleets -> Oerjan's ships......

Oerjan,

Say while you're emailing out those ships to stiltman..... could you
email a copy to me too?  I'd be really interested in checking them out.

I can understand stiltman's POV on the dread planets et all.  When I 1st

started playing FT2, we stuck with screen-3, large ships in all of our
battles.  (Really more like 1/2 dozen battles tops, with most of them
being cut off early because of time).  Then when I started playing the
FB
based stuff, I'm still only into maybe a dozen actual battles... however

I have done a lot of experiemental stuff.  As an old time SFBer I really

wanted to manuver, but frankly... was stuck in the big honking ships
pounding on each other mode.  A couple battles back, I watched my NSL
fleet pound the stuffing out of a mixed NAC/ESU fleet.... Until, the
last
NAC Huron, and a pair of Tibets were left and politely positioned
themselves in my aft arc.  Here I am moving speed 12 or so, no other NSL

ships left... I'm in my honking, virtually unscathed NSL carrier (-
fighters), and I'm watching these small punks ripping up my armor and
into my hull.  Well, let me tell you... rolling 2 thresholds on a
honking
ship like that by the time you finnally get to turn around is no fun.
Then on top of that when you go to spin, they split up and "luckily" I
managed to eliminate 1 of the Tibets by getting some of my guns in arc.

As I'm trying to do the sit and spin the other ships accelerate off (I
got some plinks in...), next thing I know they're moving up to speed 30
or so rather quickly and lets talk about the aggrivation of being 15/30
degrees out of arc, and only wapping a ship with about 1/4 of your beam
fire power or so at medium range... because you guessed wrong.	Then
have
the other bogger hammer into you.  Well lets just say the battle ended
up
with 2 badly damaged lt cruisers waiting for reinforcements out of gun
range of a heavily mauled ship with no thrust and no ftl and missing
most
of its systems.  Anyway..... I guess I started getting back into high
speed flying, and we opened up the table considerably... When you have a

lot of space to manuver and the speeds get up to something in the
20-30's, then you spend more turns flying around, but then when you
collide... you're knife fighting for a turn or so....  A completely
different style of play...

Chuck

Prev: Re: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: blue!