Prev: Re: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: "Custom" fleets

RE: "Custom" fleets

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:38:19 -0400
Subject: RE: "Custom" fleets

A valid question.
As I stated, I usually play fixed edge, but understand the
artificialness of
it.
Last month, I posted a similar question to Oerjan about what to do when
an
opponent performes a pincher movement that takes both parts of his fleet
off
the table. I do not remember a satisfactory answer.

To answer your question directly, it seems as if the battle is done
unless
one of the groups has the speed to turn arround and catch the other
side. If
both groups declare that they are going to turn around and fight, split
the
table and keep a marker as to how far apart the two halves are (using
1/2
table off-sets). Now it gets tricky if a fleet exits 2 table edges (say
South and East edges of the table), because you have to start keeping a
counters for 2 dimentions (width and length). It gets REALLY tricky if
an
opponent splits the force and half goes off the table East and half goes
off
the table West (no good suggestion here).

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft