Prev: RE: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

> Stiltman said.
>>On the other hand, I've seen both Oerjan and Noam suggest with a
straight face
> >that someone make a strategy out of using a long-range beam and abuse
the
> >floating edge to ping away at people.

> On the other hand, I've seen you suggest with a straight face
> that "space has an edge".

Hey, dude, watch your tone here.  We're all friends here... supposedly.

I concede that it might not be the most realistic way to reflect the
nature
of a space battlefield, but to put things in simple terms, we make our
house
rules to play the game our own way because we find that it makes things
the
most enjoyable.  We play a fixed field with no chance of return after
you
fly off of it, mainly because it's never really occurred to us to play
it
any other way.	I wouldn't find it particularly interesting to open the
door
to blunt keepaway tactics, and the game doesn't seem to encourage the
sorts
of weapons that are deployed to wage one.

We don't play with fighter morale, we allow fighters to recombine at
will, and
we allow people to carry any damage inflicted on one fighter group in a
given
pile to the next, simply because we want to simply keeping track of how
many
fighters are left on the board and because we find the
six-fighters-per-group
to be a simple arbitrary number for placing XXX number of markers on the
floor
and little more.  We allow any form of genre weapons but have our own
sets of
house rules governing each (e.g. fighters are considered able to dodge
super-guns for free, cloaking devices are considered internal systems
and are
thus not vulnerable to needle beams) because we find that this keeps a
certain
balance without making the genre devices too powerful or not powerful
enough
for the cost they bring.  We play cinematic movement.  My
brother-in-law, to
my knowledge, hasn't seen FB2, so how we'll fit the alien tech into the
game
and what house rules we might come up with to do so remains to be seen.

You don't have to like it.  It's prohibitively unlikely that you'll ever
have
to play under it.  But it's the way we play, and _we_ like it.	The game
does
not exactly discourage modifying the rules in-house if we don't like
something;
I refer you to page 40 in FT:  "Please treat the background just like
any
of the Advanced rules; if you like it, by all means use it - if you
don't,
then write your own, and ignore any ****** who tries to say you're doing
it 'wrong'..!"

Consider yourself ignored.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...