Prev: Re: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: FB2 SV Drone Question

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

> G'day,
>  >Not a relevant argument.  If you play floating edge, you're _still_
asking
>  >for people to bore you to death with keepaway.

> Its just as boring for the either guy, which is why it don't happen
(at
> least not down here). Why take part in it when you could just stop and
make
> them come back to you? Further, having a floating map increases the
fun
> (for me), because it increases your opportunities and challenges. You
can't
> sit in a corner with the long range weapon from hell, because
someone's
> either going to play chicken with you (as there's not threat of
careening
> into the edge of the world at massive speed) or swing out round you
and hit
> you from both sides at once.

> Guess its about time I just agreed to disagree with you on that one
mate ;)

Well, I guess it's sort of six of one and half a dozen of the other.

We simply don't have people deliberately try to abuse the borders.  We
may
enforce an edge, but we do so because we expect people to stay near the
middle
and fight.  Which is, in practice, what we do.	If people were to
deliberately
turn to put the edge of the table at their back and fire a one-arc
weapon
at people, we'd probably start shifting the house rules to decree that
they'd
flown off the map even if they were technically on it, because this sort
of
nonsense just isn't done in our games.	The fixed edge is there to
_prevent_
people from getting too ridiculous in their movements, not to encourage
it.

On the other hand, I've seen both Oerjan and Noam suggest with a
straight face
that someone make a strategy out of using a long-range beam and abuse
the
floating edge to ping away at people.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: Re: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: FB2 SV Drone Question