Prev: RE: FB2 SV Drone Question Next: Re: Designs systems

Re: "Custom" fleets

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:42:32 -0400
Subject: Re: "Custom" fleets

>> What's your brother-in-law's E-mail? I've got a fleet for him.

> Uhhhh... stiltman@teleport.com?  ;)
>Actually, if you had a suggestion I seriously wouldn't
> mind seeing it and, if it seems like it'd be
> interesting, letting my wife play it a few times against me.

Vs. the dreadplanet you posted, I'd take a scaled up, Cinematic
modification
of my Cygnus BYO fleet:

8xBC's (4976 points)
Mass 174/NPV 622
Hull 17
Thrust 4
FTL
Armor 10
1xFC
1xClass 6 Beam F/FP/AP
42xPDS
2xADFC

Step 1) Fly a mutually supporting PDS 'phalanx' in broad counter
clockwise
circles around the dreadplanet (clockwise if you prefer and decide to
roll
ship :-). BC maneuverability will ensure the dreadplanet will never
leave
range/arc.
Step 2) Vaporize any and all fighters that get near the formation. Even
(and
especially) a dogpile of all 41 groups.
Step 3a) Maintain range 60-72" and whittle over ~55 turns (or until the
planet decides to bug out)
-or-
Step 3b) "Risk" closing to range 48-60" and kill the planet in 1/2 the
time.
-or-
Steb 3c) Be _really_ reckless and get as close as 42" (outside max PB
and SM
radius) to cut time to kill closer to ~20 turns. Never get so cocky as
close closer than 42" or allow a dreadplanet maneuver to close the
distance.

The BC fleet would have to roll positively Kochtellian numbers to lose
this
scenario.

If you want to start Mod-ing the planet, I can talk alternate designs as
well. ( e.g. Trade some/all PDS for additional C5 or C6 beams, and/or
stronger defenses).

FWIW
- I wouldn't play vs. cloaked ships on a fixed field (even with more
mundane
fleets/setups).
- Flying circles and attacking effectively at speed 30 is an art and a
science (ask Indy). I think Oerjan thinks of speed 30 as "slow to
middling"

Noam

Prev: RE: FB2 SV Drone Question Next: Re: Designs systems