Prev: RE: Junta! Next: Designs systems

Re: [FT] Testing Houserules (old and new)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@A...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 01:56:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Testing Houserules (old and new)

FYI, a "Beam Laser" is a laser weapon that puts out a continuous beam.
(ie:
it tracks it's target and does damage by keeping the beam steadily on
the
target.)
A "Pulse Laser" makes one or more brief, but rapid, shots at it's
target.
(ie: most of the fighter vs fighter battles seen on scifi
shows/movies...)

The beam version will do much more damage than the pulse version on a
successful hit.
In the Traveller RPG, they make a distinction in ship laser weapons.

Donald Hosford

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

> From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
>
> > Quibbles:
> >  stealth hull section, "fighters bust" rather than "fighters must".
>
> Typos, typos
>
> > "raking" fire--I think of that as "bow rake or stern rake" but I
> > think you're thinking of the Traveler distinction between Beam
> > laser and Pulse laser--the former does less damage but is more
> > likely to hit.
>
> I suppose. I haven't played Traveler, so wouldn't know for sure.
>
> >Evasive Maneuvers-
> but I'd change it--"each 1 thrust expended in evasive
> maneuvering inceases efective range to firing ship by 6mu--no
> effect on missiles--no effect on own weapons (your computer
> knows where you are)."
>
> That's another way of looking at it. Perhaps I'll try it both ways.
Mine