Prev: Re: The dreaded parity thing (again) Next: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

Re: FB2... hmmmm...

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FB2... hmmmm...

>>The typical carriers I'm throwing are usually somewhere in the 200-300
range.
>>The Warbirds mentioned are 320.

> Nope OK then I should be able to handle them... guess I'd just have to

> think about it a bit more.

General schematic for them, off the top of my head, is mass 320, avg
hull,
thrust 1, FTL, no armor, level 2 screens, about 5 firecons, cloaking
device,
14 pulse torps (mixture of 1-arc and 3-arc in proportions I don't recall
off
the top of my head), about 15 Class 1's and 20 PDS.

>  >More likely both, if I can manage to do it.  Keep the 6 MU radii of
the
>  >fighters and plasma bolts overlapping without the fighters actually
being
>  >in danger, and you can hit with both at once.

> I have a sneaking suspicion you should only be able to do that a few
times
> before your opponent figures a way to outfly that particular tactic.

Yeah... but if you space it out you can either aim for the overlap or
you can
aim to simply cover a two foot wide area with either plasma or fighters.
There's a number of options for it.

>  >And even an ultra-battleship that doesn't go all class 1's is still
not the
>  >best plan.	If your opponent knows you're flying an ultra-battleship
(and,
>  >when you give them a pre-warning of the thing's mass, they will...
anything
>  >much over 1200 mass is going to _scream_ "I'm a battleship") there
are a
>  >great many tricks that can be pulled to beat it

> While I believe that you know what you're talking about, why does
saying
> I'm 1200 mass automatically make you a battleship????

Economics.  Under FB1 tech (and FT2 was the same way, the cutoff there
was
about half that mass), carriers are going to have less ship mass per
point
cost than battleships.	That's because the carriers not only have to pay
for the ship itself, it also has to pay for the fighters.  If you're
playing
a 5000 points game (which we usually do) you can thus determine, if
you're
pre-warned of a ship mass (and nothing more) what you're probably up
against.

1200 mass is about as large as you can get for a carrier-oriented ship
while
still being able to put together upwards of 40 fighters (and all normal
fighters or interceptors at that) for 5000 total points.  If you use
more
mass for a warship than that, I know that you can't possibly have the
budget
to fit as many fighters on the ship as I am, and if you're flying a
warship
that's over 1400 mass, it's a fair bet that you have no fighters at all.

Of course, all the bets are off if you're crazy enough to throw a 1400+
mass
cargo ship at me in hopes of baiting me into "cheating" on fighters.
But
that's a _huge_ gamble... and I've been quiet enough about this little
subtlety
of ship design economics in my own circles that it hasn't occurred to
anyone
to try it yet. ;)

> Can you also please explain again exactly how you figure out what's
coming
> (sorry I seem to be getting a little muddled here)... you present ship

> masses and then go off and say what's on them? Or did you mean you
figured
> out your fleets and then present masses and then you think OK he's got
blah
> so with my stuff I can do such and such?

The way we do this goes about like this:

1.  We're both allowed 5000 points.  We'll usually consider it a
courtesy to
ask on little fudges like going a few points over or under.

2.  The battles are considered to vaguely be confrontations in the