Prev: Re: FT: Threshold checks question... Next: [FT] FB2 Errata

RE: The dreaded parity thing (again)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 06:51:10 -0400
Subject: RE: The dreaded parity thing (again)

[snip]

> OTOH, there's zero-average balancing. That means to take advantage A,
you
> must take disadvantage B. An average combatant, while outclassed in A
has
> a perfect opportunity to exploit B (i.e. you don't need a specialized
> B-exploitation design).
>
> How does this apply to FT? Benchmarking. Lacking anything else, we
might
> call the "official" FB designs the benchmark. (Sorry, ship registry --
> electronic only doesn't count)
[Bri] Exactly right. The FTSR is not meant to replace the fleet books,
only
to suplement them. The ships in Fleet Book 1 & 2 (including the
variations
mentioned in the text, but without SSDs) should be used as a benchmark.

> Thus, any kustom killa design should have a reasonable counter in the
> published official designs.
>
> If there isn't, soon all you see is everyone flying kustom killa's of
> their own and one begins to wonder what's the use of the "official"
> designs? Examples of bad designs? A way to spank newbies?
>
> (Car Wars used to have this problem. You just couldn't compete with a
> sheet car. I could also mention a previous edition of a certain space
> combat game, but shall leave it unnamed...)
[Bri] And Battle Tech, and most other games that offer "official"
designs
and a custom design section. "Official" designs tend to be more
multi-purpose and usually are not built to exploit a particular system
or
rule. Custom designs sometimes are built to this purpose.

[snip]

> --
> maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)	    | A pig who doesn't
fly
> GSM +358 50 5596411 Tel +358 9 8092681	    | is just an
ordinary
> pig
> Länsimetsä 3B1 02300 ESPOO FINLAND	 Hate me? Try | 	- Porco
Rosso
> http://www.swob.dna.fi/~maxxon/      hateme.html  |

My comments marked by [Bri]
---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://members.xoom.com/rlyehable/ft/
---

Prev: Re: FT: Threshold checks question... Next: [FT] FB2 Errata